onsdag 30. november 2016

News-stories i Jamaica


Hello, people! This is Sol and I'm ready to tell about life in Jamaica. For Jamaicans, that is.

A lot of interesting things happen in Jamaica every day. I have chosen some news-stories which may illustrate that. Jamaican Labour Party have just won most of the local elections, and there were wild celebrations in Montego Bay. The opposing party is Peoples National Party. However the voter turnout was low. While there were wild celebrations in Montego bay, there were reports of buying votes in Mandeville, which the police took care of, and no incidents in the other parishes.

The elections took up most of the big cases in Jamaica Observer, which surprised me. Jamaica, and many other countries in the Caribbean have the highest crimerates in the world. This was put quite nicely in an interview with Peter Bunter who is minister of national security in Jamaica.
"Though all the categories of serious and violent crimes have been on a decline — a long-term trend — the challenge is we started from such a high level that even when we have cut it in half, it still leaves us with the highest categories worldwide". And after I had read about the elections I found a report of a shooting incident in East Kingston, where a thirteen year old boy was shot and undergoing surgery. There were almost nothing on this case, and I have actually not seen a whole lot of report like these. I honestly don't know what to make of it, but this kind of proves the statement from before. There are high crime rates in Jamaica, so it must have been easy for the boy to get hold of a gun.

I also found a headline (which I'm sorry to say I didn't read more of) which said something along the lines of "Familyfeud and gangviolence terrorices neighbourhood", and otherwise there was a lot of articles concerning schools, education, "woman's touch on finance", and also "hospital gets twenty wheelchairs". The election is however the center of focus in the press.

I need to go now, but we will keep you up to date on our tours of Jamaica! 😃









Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar